Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hoarding: Buried Alive


So for Christmas this year, Maggie & Jonathan got Gracie this cute cardboard playhouse.  The kids loved playing in it and coloring the outside.  So fun!

Then one day, I was in the basement and tried to push the house over to the side.  And I couldn't.  So I peeked in one of the little windows and found the house filled with toys.  You couldn't walk in it.  Nothing could really be played with because there was so much of stuff.

Have you seen that show on TLC "Hoarding: Buried Alive"?  It is about people that have so much stuff they cannot even walk through their house.  It is disturbing.  It is sad.  It is addicting.  It makes you question whether you yourself are a hoarder. 

Well, my children could be on the toddler edition.

Now I have noticed a tendency to hoard for a while now, but I assumed it was normal child-like behavior.  Grace never wants to throw anything away.  Ever.  Old ribbons, packaging for stuff, nasty lipgloss, etc.  When she is at school I go through her room with a garbage bag.  Andrew's hoarding isn't that severe, and he is still young.  There is still hope for him. 

I didn't know it was a real problem, until I saw the interior of their cute little gingerbread house.  I realized that this house gave them the opportunity to let their hoarding impulses run wild.  The most disturbing thing is they loved sitting in the house amidst their hoard.  
Or maybe they just liked being away from me?   No....not possible!

Needless to say, it the house has been taken down and the toys have been put away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment