Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Cake

Maggie gave me this recipe, and I love it! It is more involved than just opening up a box of cake mix, but well worth it. In fact, this is the first time I made this recipe and didn't realize after a few minutes of baking that I forgot to add an ingredient and needed to pull the cake out of the oven to stir it in.  I think I have ADD or whatever it is called.

From what I can tell, this is from a cookbook called "Wild Game".  Don't worry, the cake does not contain any wild game....or any game for that matter. 
Preheat over to 400 degrees.

Grease 15x10x2 pan.

CAKE
8 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c all purpose flour
2 c sugar
1/2 c buttermilk
2 lg eggs
1t baking soda
1 t vanilla extract
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t powerdered instant espresso or regular coffee
1/2 t salt
3/4 chopped nuts (optional)

1. In saucepan combine butter, cocao and 1 C water over moderate heat. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.


2. In large bowl sift together flour and sugar.

3. Add melted cocoa to flour & sugar and beat until well blended.
 

4. Continue beating while adding buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon, coffee, & salt.


5. Fold in nuts.

6. Pour it in the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cake will be moist. Note: I had to bake mine a bit longer.



ICING
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
8 T unsalted butter (melted)
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c plus 2 T milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 t powdered instant espresso or regular coffee
1 t ground cinnamon

1. Combine all ingredients.





2. Eat a big spoonful to be sure it is sweet and buttery enough. 
3. After cake has cooled, spread the icing on top.

After you taste this cake you will all want Maggie's email so you can send her a thank you note.  Please email me and I will hook you up.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment