Tuesday, March 2, 2010

weekend baking - red velvet cupcakes


Sunday Grace begged me to make cupcakes with her....and it didn't take much to convince me.  Of course she abandoned the baking after about 3 minutes.

I chose the red velvet cake recipe from
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Sunday paper.

Red Velvet Cake
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter (room temp)
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 c sour cream
1/2 c milk
1 bottle red food coloring
2 tsps vanilla extract
Pour in 3 greased and floured round 8" cake pans.  Bake in 325degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
I cut the recipe in 1/2 and it made about 18 cupcakes.  It took less than 35 minutes to cook, maybe 25?

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
4 tsp butter
2 T sour cream
1 lb/4 c powdered sugar
* I omitted the sour cream and used more butter than cream cheese.

We were lucky to have some farm fresh eggs from Grace's trip to visit Aunt Betty the day before.  The yolks are an unbelievable color of gold and they really are delicious.



The recipe calls for a FULL jar of red food coloring...    I love my canisters, they were my grandparents.  I think they are so sunny and happy.
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment