Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chocolate-Chip Cranberry (w/ Almond) Biscotti

While Little Buddy napped, Grace and I tried another baking project.  I like baking with her because it is fun to spend time with her and I am sure she is learning something (measuring, math, ingredient names, to love food, etc.).  Getting to taste the batter, dough or frosting is just an added benefit.


I had a really bad biscotti (almost broke a tooth) at storytime today, so I thought I would try to make my own.  I found the recipe on Cooking Light.com.

Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1  cup  sugar
  • 1/2  cup  dried cranberries
  • 1/3  cup  semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1/8  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  tablespoon  vegetable oil
  • 1  teaspoon  almond extract
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • 3  large eggs
  • Cooking spray
   I tried to make biscotti last year, they didn't turn out.  Probably because I didn't follow the directions, as I am not a big fan of following recipes EXACTLY.  So, baking doesn't always work for me.  This time I thought I would try following the directions.  And I did, uh, sort of:
- I added a little less sugar than a cup (probably 4/5 c)
- Used 2 eggs and 2 egg whites instead of 3 eggs
- Added almonds instead of almond extract
- Added some water to thin out (2T)
- AND I forgot the kitchen timer so I am not sure how long I baked them for....

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour and the next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Combine oil, extracts, and eggs; add to flour mixture, stirring until well-blended (dough will be dry and crumbly). 


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 to 8 times. Divide the dough in half. Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place rolls 6 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each roll to 1-inch thickness.



Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 15 (1/2-inch) slices. Place the slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325°, and bake for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.







 Grace enjoyed hers while watching Cinderella (her new obsession) on my iPod.  She refused to get her picture taken but i snapped this one...yes, she is wearing her fancy dress today.  Because after all, she had to look like a "princess" for story time!  Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment