Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Kitchen Remodel - details!

We got 2 new windows.  Marvin double hung, so easy to open and not drafty.  Now I want all new windows - uh oh!
 
We got a few new appliances.  A vent hood (broan), refrigerator (kitchen aid) and basic microwave (panasonic).  We replaced the cooktop (GE cafe), oven (maytag) and dishwasher (kitchenaid) in the past few years, so we were able to re-use those.
 
For countertops we chose soapstone and carrera marble.  So far we love our choices.  We have some etching on the marble, but no stains.  The soapstone does scratch, but not very easily.  The scratches blend in nicely with the veining.   I have not oiled it at all and it was not oiled at install, but I am sure the scatches would be invisible if I did.

 
Backsplash is basic off-white/bone color from the tile shop with mobe pearl grout.  The grout line is 1/8", in case anyone cares.
 
 
I love my new faucet, I used to have a pulldown which was great and I do miss that a little bit.  But I love the traditional look of this one (Rohl country kitchen
"cinquanta" w/sidespray in polished nickel). 
 
I love my tiny island, it is totally functional but doesn't take up too much space. 
 
Love this detail on the base of the cabinets, even though it will get totally beat up.
 
Good call was putting applicance pull on my trash pull out to hang a towel on. 
 
Instead of getting a double oven, we bought the breville smart oven and I use this more than my big oven.  It is great!

 
We have some recessed lighting, a pendant over the table, lights in our vent hood, and 2 schoolhouse flush mount fixtures.  No under cabinet lighting, which must be very popular.  I kept getting asked, "Wait you don't want under cabinet lights?  Are you sure?" 


We debated about doing a built in corner booth here, and we may still do that.  However, for now, I am happy with our new table and chairs.  The pendant is from restoration hardware (clemson in polished nickel w/ prismatic glass).

No comments:

Post a Comment