Thursday, January 24, 2013

the three year old insanity

Andrew is a wonderful, funny and sweet little boy.  For instance, yesterday he refused to wear his spiderman sweatshirt because one of the daycare teachers is "scared" of him in it (it has a little hood with a mask).  I assured him that she wasn't really scared and she would be OK with him wearing it.  But he refused, insisting that he did not want to scare her. 

See?  Sweet.  However, he is a three year old. And along with this sweetness, comes what I can only refer too as, "The Three Year Old Insanity."   Terrible Twos?  I think not. Three is the new two.  But is MUCH WORSE.  Take note all you pediatricians and child development experts that read this blog (I know you are out there)! 

Pretty much every single decision point in Andrew's day is an opportunity for him to hone his negotiating (or tantruming) skills.  I understand he is just trying to figure out the world around him and what he can and cannot control.  But jeez!  Give it a rest Little Buddy! 

I have figured out that I need to be very calculated about what I say and how I react.  Sometimes I just give him whatever he wants (see the example below), and other times I need to make him think I want the opposite.  I need to make him feel like he is getting exactly what he wants, exactly the way he wants it, and that it was all his idea.  Sometimes need to do that with Kevin too. 

"You can wear any shoes but these."
"Oh no, don't wear this sweater!  It is a big boy sweater and you are too little for this one."
"Oh no goodness!  It is waaaaaay too hot to put your pants back on!"

Mentally exhausting. 

If all three year olds are like this, by the time Mae is four I will be highly skilled in reverse psychology and negotiation.  So skilled, that I could get a job doing this type of work.  Wait where do they use these skills?  Schools?  Daycares?  I'll pass.

Here is an example of how tedious the simple act of getting Andrew a snack is....
"Do you want string cheese?" Me
"No" Andrew
"Okay."
"Maybe I do need string cheese."
"Okay" I walk towards the fridge....
"Noooo! I get it!"
"Okay."  I stop walking....
"Nooo! You get it!"
"Okay."  I resume walking....
"Noooo! I get it!"
"Okay."  I stand still, not sure what to do.
"Noooo! How 'bout we both get it! That be a good idea!"
1 minute later
"Mommy, I lick the string cheese. Then I eat it"
"Okay."  Not going to argue with you on that one!

Life with Andrew. Never dull. Oh wait...that was really dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment