Saturday, April 6, 2013

Climbing Mount Everest


Traveling with three young children is just like climbing Mt Everest.

It requires a lot of preparation.
A lot of gear.
A lot of courage.
A lot of faith.
A lot of patience.
And a little bit of foolish optimism.

The journey up the mountain is tough, but you have the reward to look forward to. For Mt. Everest climbers, it is the panoramic views at the summit.  For parents, it is the great moments of family fun and thrilled children.


You delight in the simple things that go your way.

You had enough oxygen.
Your three car seats all fit in your rental car.

You don't get trapped into a storm.
Your flight isn't canceled.

You didn't fall into a crevasse.
Your child waited until you were off the plane to have explosive diarrhea (thanks Mae!).

And just like Everest climbers, after you experience the reward of the climb, you still have to survive the descent... AKA THE RETURN FLIGHT. That is where most accidents occur - where most parents lose their mind.

Wait, I forgot the "Sherpas."  When climbing Mt. Everest, climbers employ locals to help carry their gear to base camp. Sherpas. Moms and Dads are Sherpas. On our recent trip, I was hauling two car seats, two carry-on bags and pushing the stroller.  (Kevin would like me to note that he was hauling both suitcases and various ipods, ipads, iphones and our roku.  He is quite strong.)  I asked Andrew to carry his own booster seat, and he refused, "I just carry my backpack Mommy." Now I know how those Himalayans feel.  You are critical to the journey, but you don't fully enjoy it.  Its not about you!

Reaching the summit of Everest is an impressive accomplishment.  Deserving of respect and admiration.  Traveling with young children deserves the same respect.  Err, almost.


*I realize my knowledge of mountain climbing lingo is extensive.  To those of you who are curious...  No, I actually have never climbed Everest.  Or any mountain. Hills?  Not those either.  However, there are some serious inclines on my walk to the local coffee shop.

1 comment: