Monday, December 26, 2011

HO HO HO! Applique T-Shirts


This year, I learned how to make applique t shirts.  They are easy.  So easy that I decided to make one for every child that I know (well almost) for Christmas.  Grace, Andrew and Mikey all received coordinating Christmas shirts this year. 

You start out by ironing double sided heat'n bond onto fabric (be sure to buy the sew-able stuff).  On the back of the heat'n bond you can draw your pattern.  I printed out pictures that I found online and traced those onto the heat'n bond.  Then cut out your pattern and place it on the shirt.  Remember to trace them backwards so that they look correct when you place them on the shirt.


Next, iron on the appliques. 

Tip  - be sure to measure the shirt and center your design. 

Next step is to sew around the edge of your applique.  This can be a bit tedious with a small or detailed pattern. 

Finally, if you want, you can add buttons or ribbons to finish.   

The initial shirts are definitely the easiest and quickest to make.   


Ones with more detail like this flower one take a looooong time.

Here is my favorite shirt that I made this year. Isn't it cute? I will have to make one for Andrew for this summer. 

1 comment:

  1. Bridget - just enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you SO MUCH for the cute shirts you made for my girls. How many did you make in all?? And how many trips to Old Navy?? The shirts are SO CUTE & my girls love them. Suppose now that I have step-by-step instructions I should be making my own, right? :-) Hope you enjoy the rest of you holiday & was great seeing you at Christmas. Just went too quickly!! Take care & hope you are feeling well. Happy New Year!! -Liz

    ReplyDelete